Khapali wheat is also known as Emmer wheat. …of late several Doctors and nutritionists have started recommending emmer wheat as a healthier substitute for regular wheat as it has less gluten than regular wheat and is also a good source of nutrition.
Khapli Wheat Nutritional Facts – Constitution:
- The carbohydrate profile is 61 to 68 % of Starch and only 2-3% sugar.
- Has higher protein content than other wheat varieties, with 30-39% of protein being albumin and globulin.
- About 3% or less part of the grain kernel is fat.
- High levels of Vitamin E found in the wheat germ of Khapli is helpful in anti-oxidant synthesis.
- Niacin, Thiamine, and Vitamin B6 are present in healthy quantities.
- Also rich in Selenium, manganese, zinc, and Iron.
- 47 grams of Khapli contains 170 Calories, 1 gram of fat, 4 grams of fiber, 34 grams of carbohydrates, and 6 grams of protein.
Health benefits –
- Khapli grain has a low–glycemic index (GI). This is very beneficial for Diabetes control. Low glycemic index means it is slowly digested to release sugar in low levels and maintains energy levels for longer periods. Hence sharp ups and downs of sugar levels are controlled.
2. Digestive System:
- Khapli is low in calories and rich in proteins and fiber, which keeps you fuller for longer. This can aids weight loss too
- It is rich in fiber content, is very easy to digest, and increases energy levels. A single cup of Khapli wheat can provide 20% of the daily recommendation of dietary fiber.
- It can prevent metabolic disorders and gallstone formation due to its fiber-rich profile.
3. Musculoskeletal System:
- The magnesium content in Khapli helps strengthen bones, muscles, and nerve system.
4. High Nutritional Value:
- It is rich in Vitamin B3, selenium, iron, and magnesium.
- It also benefits pregnant women, post-pregnancy states, and the elderly by providing an excellent nutritional profile.
5. Immunity Booster:
- Khapli strengthens immunity due to the presence of complex carbohydrates and is recommended to the elderly and children.
- Zinc is essential for effective wound healing and a good immune system.
6. Good For The Heart:
- Beneficial in maintaining cardiovascular health.
- Khapli wheat lowers the harmful cholesterol levels (LDL, triglycerides, and total cholesterol levels) in the bloodstream reducing the chances of CVD (Cardio Vascular Disorders).
- Vit B3 (aka Niacin) present in Emmer’s wheat is good to control cholesterol levels.
7. Women’s Health:
- It helps to improve women’s health.
- It is known to provide relief in post-menopausal symptoms.