Barley is the fourth most important cereal crop after wheat, maize, and rice super-grain which is ideal for people with a Kapha and Pitta ‘Prakriti’. It is loaded with nutrients and should ideally be part of your daily diet in all seasons. Benefits
1. For Kapha and Pitta dosha – In Ayurveda, Barley is strongly recommended for children and younger populations which tend to be more susceptible to Kapha and Pitta-related doshas. Barley is lighter to digest and does not produce excess mucus in the system.
2. Natural coolant – It is great for people suffering from excess body heat and related digestive or skin conditions.
3. High in Protein – This grain is recommended in children and adults to increase body strength.
4. High in fiber – Barley has abundant dietary fiber, making it great for digestion and controlling blood sugar, and managing blood sugar spikes. This also helps with weight loss as dietary fiber makes a person feel fuller for longer.
5. Helps in Controlling cholesterol- Barley increases the release of bile from the liver and gall bladder, aiding fat metabolism. Since bile is an oily substance, the release of bile directly lowers triglycerides and cholesterol in the blood.
6. Gut friendly – Barley soothes irritated, inflamed bowels. Its fiber has been shown to repair the intestinal lining of the gut.
It also ‘liquefies’ the blood due to the presence of alkyl pyrazine, cleansing the blood of impurities. Barley is demulcent, i.e. slightly slimy, acting as a laxative.
RECIPE-Barley Water Drink is a healthy, cooling drink loaded with nutrients. Excellent for the body during summer, this beverage hydrates, nourishes, detoxes, and cools. We will explain to you how easy it is to make this ancient healing elixir at home!
If you are feeling heavy and bloated then try this bowel-cleansing Barley Drink:
Boil 200 ml of water and pour it into a thermos
Add 3 tsp of barley
1/2 tsp of fennel seeds
1/2 tsp of cumin seeds
1 tsp of coriander seeds
5 black raisins and soak them overnight. In the morning filter, the mixture adds a pinch of ginger and turmeric powder before drinking.
Wait 30-60 minutes before having breakfast.